Sunday 11 November 2012

Vintage Veggies


 A couple of weeks back I took advantage of a rare rain-free day in Manchester to do a bit of exploring and found myself a short while later being dragged into a vegan cafe. Being a self-professed meat lover, the word vegan usually fills me with dread as visions of lettuce leaves topped with tofu flood my mind but Withington's vegan cafe/bar
FUEL has forever cured me of my phobia. Any place that has a room dedicated solely to board games whilst also stocking a banana bread flavoured beer has got to be worth a closer look. Serving home-made,locally-sourced, vegetarian and vegan food and wide range of speciality beers under the ever watchful eye of Elvis, the place is a hipster's dream. Surrounded by the rest of the local student population I scoffed a hearty falafel wrap and washed it down with a fresh fruit smoothie, all the while feeling just a little bit virtuous for saying no to meat. A return trip is definitely on the cards... 








A girly day out wouldn't be complete without a bit of retail therapy and just over the road form Fuel, the boutique Hummingbirds is exactly my sort of shop. With a window full of leather satchels and a variety of vintage and British-made pieces, it's perfect for a girly shopper with a conscience. I found several things I wanted but, being an impoverished student, limited myself to just one and in the end came away with this shirt for £21 (to add to my already enormous collection)- a feminine take on the classic blue boyfriend shirt that I team with fitted trousers or a leather skirt to really hit the androgynous nail on the head. The rest will have to be added to my wish list. Until next time... S xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment